The AAO-HNS Foundation is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing education for physicians. The Foundation sponsors a number of education activities that offer AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.
Through these activities, physicians can
o Increase their knowledge of the most current research advances and medical practices in otolaryngology-head and neck surgery
o Achieve greater competence in performing diagnostic and treatment measures to provide quality service to patients
o Improve practice skills, abilities, and strategies for high-quality, evidence-based standards of otolaryngology healthcare delivery
American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Foundation Continuing Professional Development Mission Statement
The American Academy of Otolaryngology—Head & Neck Surgery Foundation’s Continuing Professional Development (CPD) program will improve healthcare provider (physicians, physicians-in-training, and nonphysicians) competence through lifelong learning by identifying and addressing the educational needs which underlie practice gaps in otolaryngology-head and neck surgery.
CONTENT AREAS: All CPD activities will meet the ACCME and AMA definitions of continuing medical education and be related to the specialty of otolaryngology-head and neck surgery. The scope of educational topics covered by CPD will reflect the subspecialties recognized by the American Board of Otolaryngology (ABO) which are:
• Facial plastic and reconstructive surgery
• Head and neck surgery (benign and malignant tumors including thyroid and parathyroid glands)
• Laryngology (voice and swallowing disorders)
• Otology / audiology
• Pediatric otolaryngology
• Rhinology (nose and sinus disorders)
• Neurotology (disorders of the inner ear including tumors)
• Sleep medicine
Other content areas include:
• Business of medicine
• Medical ethics
• Geriatric otolaryngology-head and neck surgery
• Patient safety and quality improvement
In addition, content areas address the core competencies of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS), Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), and the Institute of Medicine (IOM).
TARGET AUDIENCE: The primary audience for CPD activities will be physicians and physicians-in-training who specialize in otolaryngology-head and neck surgery. Specific CPD activities will also be developed for allied health professionals.
TYPES OF ACTIVITIES PROVIDED: The Type of Activities provided by CPD will be based upon adult learning principles and designed to meet desired outcomes through effective faculty, format, and content development.
• Live: AAO-HNSF Annual Meeting & OTO EXPO and Coding and Reimbursement Workshops
• Enduring Material: self-directed activities, such as:
o Home Study Course
o Patient Management Perspectives
o online courses and lecture
• Manuscript review: Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, official AAO-HNSF journal
The expected outcomes of participation in CPD activities will be improvements in healthcare through:
• Increased knowledge of the most current research advances and medical practices in otolaryngology-head and neck surgery
• Greater competence in performing diagnostic and treatment measures to provide quality service to patients
• Improved practice skills, abilities, and strategies for high-quality, evidence-based standards of otolaryngology healthcare delivery
AAO-HNSF requires that any individual who may have control of the content for an activity must submit a disclosure form that discloses any relevant financial relationship with a commercial interest. Any real or potential conflicts of interest will be indentified and resolved prior to an activity.
Financial Support of Education Activities
AAO-HNSF may accept commercial support from commercial interests for activities whose acceptance is in compliance with the ACCME Standards for Commercial Support and the Foundation Continuing Professional Development Guidelines.
One stop shop for continuing education, patient information, coding resources, member connections, and more.
Receive many benefits to help you in your professional pursuits: shape the future of the specialty, manage the business side of your practice more smoothly, and more.